Richards Brothers - Coach Hire
Top Bonded Coach Holidays
 
Contact Us

The History of Richards Bros

The History of Richards BrosThe company commenced operating as W.G. Richards & Sons, Brodawel, Moylgrove. W.G. Richards was a general haulage contractor with a steam engine, and was offered a contract with Higgs and Hill when the R.N.A.D. Trecwn was being built. He carried workmen in 14 seat vans to the construction site at R.N.A.D. Trecwn in a valley three miles south of Fishguard.

The first true bus was a Bedford OWB utility bus with wooden seats bought in May 1943. His son Reggie and Idris then joined the business, and Richards Bros. was formed. After the depot was completed, contracts were obtained to convey workmen from the Moylgrove, St. Dogmaels and Cardigan areas to the depot. These vehicles were then used to convey prisoners of war to outlying farms from a camp in Letterston. School contracts were then obtained, and more buses purchased.

The History of Richards BrosThe first of several company acquisitions occurredmde666.gif (20306 bytes) in 1958 - Owen Williams of Cardigan, together with his operation to the North of the town provided Richards Bros. with their first local services.

In 1971, Western Welsh withdrew from the area and Richards Bros. took over the Fishguard to St. Davids service. In 1972, the business of Lewis Williams (Blue Glider), St. Dogmaels was acquired, and in 1976 was another year for purchasing a very old rival company - Pioneer Motors, Newport (a company which one of the partners - Reggie, had worked for many years).

In 1978, a new workshop and office was built in Newport to accommodate the extra servicing facilities required.

1982, the business of Marchwood Motorways, Southampton, who had a depot in Haverfordwest was purchased, and more local services were acquired.

In 1984, the Moylgrove depot was closed and a new head office set up in Pentood Industrial Estate, with a paint shop and garage.

The History of Richards BrosIn 1998 the Coaching side of T.M. Daniel of Cardigan was purchased.

The business is run by the late W.R. Richards three sons Marteine, Malcolm and Nigel Richards

Bus services now operate between Haverfordwest - Milford Haven - St. Davids - Cardigan and Aberystwyth, Carmarthen, with coaches travelling all over Europe, and employing 70 staff with 65 vehicles.

You can e-mail your enquiries to - enquiries@RichardsBros.co.uk